Monday, February 7, 2011

Bull Canyon (Mojave National Preserve)



We went to Bull Canyon the other weekend. I think it was Bull Canyon. We were actually supposed to hike up to Cima Dome, but we had a change of plans after speaking to a park ranger who advised against the road in a KIA. Actually, we might have been a bit lazy too because we normally could care less what the quality of the road is or isn't. We didn't get much sleep the previous night because the train was so loud. Lots of squeaking and squealing. Normally, I LOVE the sound of trains but this sounded like the train was actually being tortured.

So the hike had us beginning near Kelso Dunes rd. From there, we went to Pipeline rd. And from there we just 'trail-blazed' and headed east (I hate that word but it makes us sound really bad-ass). It was a nice feeling knowing you are completely alone, there's no trail full of people. I felt really human. I like feeling human. Living in the world of advertising and consumerism, it's a break to be able to be out and about and away from all the hustle and noise.

After drifting on a beautiful 'Lacustrine plain' for a bit (the whole area was at one time submerged underwater), we headed south towards the canyon. Along the way we found a lot of bones. Kind of macabre, but I thought they were fun! They were fairly big in size and I even kept one that I plan on varnishing. There were lots of beautiful rocks out there, too. This area had previously seen heavy volcanic activity, so the rocks were primarily igneous and dark colored. Lots of exposed rock surfaces and odd shaped formations.

The canyon was (mostly) dry, expect for a few spots higher up where we saw colorful green lichen on some boulders. The canyon is carved mostly by sediments flowing down the mountain. The fluvial and alluvial process are abundant here, comparable to Death Valley.

There were lots of boulders to scramble on and about and it was relatively moderate hiking material. You just need to be comfortable with your own internal compass, or at least-have an internal compass. You could buy a GPS to simplify matters.

The view from atop one of the canyon's mid way was breath taking. The views of crusty, jagged and dark New York Mountains to your north and craggy Providence Mountains to the south, smooth and soothing Kelso Dunes straight straight west and the lava beds of Cima Dome, made for overwhelming sights. This place is ridden with the talent of only a god's architect.

As far as wildlife, there was a lot of it in this canyon, but I am guessing it's all nocturnal. The combination of bones, paw/hoof prints, water and the shielding canyon itself makes for easy living for many animals. I repeatedly had a feeling I was being watched. This could just be my natural inclination to paranoia, but I don't know. I felt like something above the canyon was looking down and following our presence. I tell you this, I would not camp in that canyon.

Photos by Steve Taylor.

No comments:

Post a Comment